Ten Style Tips to Help Hide Gynecomastia
Gynecomastia, or man boobs for short, can put a drag on your personal style and your confidence. If you have ever felt insecure about the way your chest looks, you've probably wondered how to hide gynecomastia without anyone knowing. One option is surgery, but that's both expensive and time consuming. A simpler and quicker option is to hide your man boobs with smart clothing choices. Here are 10 style tips that can help you get that flattening effect without gynecomastia surgery.
1. Wear Clothes that Fit CorrectlyIf you're trying to make your chest look flatter, consider making a stop at the tailor. Wearing clothes that are properly fitted to your body is essential. In fact, stylists who work with clients looking to flatten chest profiles say that nothing is more important than fit. Find a tailor in your local area, or try an online service such as M Tailor that takes your measurements digitally.
2. Avoid Baggy ClothesEven though you know you should wear clothes that fit, you're likely still tempted to wear baggy clothes. The logic is that very loose attire will be good at hiding gynecomastia. Despite what you may think, though, baggy shirts won't have a flattening effect. On the contrary, they tend to make your chest look even bigger than it really is. It's even worse if you wear a baggy T-shirt, which will cling to your body in all the wrong places.
3. Pay Attention to Colors
When it comes to picking clothing, it's important to pay close attention to color. White is a standard in men's undershirts. Both white dress shirts and tees are incredibly common. However, this popular neutral isn't a great choice if you're trying to hide your chest. While it's crisp and clean, white also tends to be transparent. The lack of color depth means that it will be easier than you'd like for people to see your moobs. Choose a darker neutral such as gray or blue instead.
Black garments have the most flattering and slimming effects. Other dark colors to consider are navy, charcoal grey, and purple.
4. Get CompressedOne of the most successful strategies for hiding gynecomastia is to wear a compression shirt. These undershirts do just what they say and flatten chest profiles on men of all body types. Compression shirts come in a variety of styles including some that stop at the bottom of the chest and some that go farther down towards the waist. No matter the style, choose a comfortable, moisture-wicking fabric.
5. Layer It UpWearing thick layers can be a smart way to hide gynecomastia during cooler seasons. Layers help to hide flaws and look natural in cooler climates. Of course, the key to working with layers is to understand balance. If you layer too many bulky pieces or wear baggy pieces on top of one another, you'll look bigger than you actually are. Wearing an undershirt, button-up shirt and v-neck sweater is a smart layering strategy for staying comfortable and hiding flaws.
6. Hide Gynecomastia Behind Small PatternsThe right pattern can be flattering without drawing attention to your gynecomastia. The key when working with patterns is to choose small prints. Think tiny plaids, pinstripes or polka dots. These smaller patterns are great at concealing problem areas and look attractive too. Big patterns should generally be avoided, but camouflage gets the okay from stylists.
7. Consider Structure & Weight in FabricThe right fabric can go a long way in your efforts to hide gynecomastia. Woven fabrics have structure and rigidity that help conceal the chest area because they do not cling. Dress shirts and other structured garments typically have woven fabrics. Some examples of common woven fabrics:
- Cotton twill
Knits are what tees and sweatshirts are made from. Fabric weight is particularly important with knits. For example, when knit tees have thin, clingy fabrics they tend to accentuate the chest area. Knits with heavier weights tend to have more structure and rigidity that can provide more flatten effect.